Friday 30 March 2007

In between a rock and a hard place...

A transformation is taking place. I am noticing things and I'm not sure if I like it: I am getting older. I'm getting to that point where I can say, ' Do you remember..? ' The things happening around me aren't helping either. What is it with the resurgence of pop bands? Am I old enough to see the likes of All Saints, Take That, Boyz II Men and god forbid, the Spice Girls back again? The simple answer is no, and from what I can see, they've just got bills to pay. In the cinema, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is back and digitally remastered, when I'm sure it was just yesterday I was playing Michaelangelo ('cos obviously, he was the best one) while play fighting with my cousins. When I wanna go raving trains of thought are entering my head that were NEVER there before: I've got work in the morning

Let me change my outfit to match my flats, 'cos those heels are gonna bun' my foot after an hour. That's if I want to rave, ' cos it's like 'been there, done that,' tired of being accosted by 10-year-old boys and girls in 'scandilatious' outfits('cos and attention is good attention, right? Wrong!) Slowly, EVER SO SLOWLY, I'm learning that a top that's £4 in Primark, is £4 for a reason (four washes and it's out of colour, out of shape, out of fashion...) andthat no matter how I try, I cannot ake those oh so beautiful size 4 stilletos fit my size 6 feet (damn!). Lately, I've found myself denying I've ever had a childhood while I kiss my teeth and tut at the schoolkids playing the soundtrack to their lives on their phones for the whole bus to "enjoy". But I did have a childhood and it was great - where hand held devices were skipping ropes or at best tamagotchi's; when it was all about stomping around in LA Gears so the lights would shine, or obsessively pressing the tongue on my Reebok Pumps. When hair was gelled to within an inch of it's life and everyone had at least three pairs of ranger loafers from Dalston; When Fonthill Road and Roman Road were what topshop and H&M are today. Wallabees, GAP waterproof jackets, pedal pushers and shagbands. When girls were buff tings and boys were beenies and Nokia 3210s were heavy. Shower was, well a shower, and only ordained priests said 'bless.' Those were the days, but I'm glad there's not too much photographic evidence...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes Sash I feel you on this one, completely TRUE! We are getting older!

Djen