Monday 16 April 2007

Monday Blues? More Monday Snooze

Oh the semi-depressive life of a graduate! Don't wory, you've all got it to come! Everyone else has plans for a kayaking trip in Bali or a round the world bungee jump tour and you have... I hope the silence speaks volumes! It's cool, just working evenings or whatever for the first few months. Then you see the ever helpful reminders for the SLC that you have a £16k + debt looming over head, and the banks who so lovingly wooed you with railcards, popcorn makers, ipods and money, now start calling you the polite version of a 'rahtid likkle teef' and you're left to think, uni did not prepare me for this! Call me naive, because it's true in this case. I was just looking at the short term. Uni was prolonged adolescence with a Visa. Great stuff! So while I lie in on a monday morning and avoid rush hour, I'm left to think about friends who have spent 6 months finding shitty bank jobs or even shittier roles as RECRUITMENT CONSULTANTS (did I really apend three years at uni to help someone else find a better job than me? skht). The constant money, the routine, the suit, a whip all make my shabbily-assembled gap year look like, well, a shabbily - assembled gap year. Don't get it twisted, I'm dilligent in anything I put my mind to, so I could just get on with it, but I'm on the cusp of something new - higher responsibilty. I get the job and I feel hot with myself, get a car, insurance, couple credit cards, swap primarni for armani, a few holidays, a time-share, a yard - but then that's it - I'm gripped by the system, giving thanks for 23 days off a year ....and then I stop and think. I've got 40+ years of the 9 to 5, so let me take five, let the creditors keep going to voicemail, stop watching everyone else's situation and just give thanks that I'm in a position where I can take this time to really indulge my dreams and think of what I wanna do. Really, want to do. And I advise you hit snooze and do the same.

2 comments:

Ak-Man said...

It's a powerful movement Sash!

People get the impression from me that I dont want to work . . . thats never been the case. I just dont like the idea of gettin stuck in the routine of doing something I dont like at all.

My prior job was supposed to be a two week holiday cover. I ended up there for 6 months! ARGHHH!!!

Whats worse is that im due to work at the same company for 2 weeks again but at a different branch AND full-time.

Shiett . . . If i hadnt left uni 2 yrs ago i'd probably bash the snooze button also.

Ak-Man

Lady_T said...

Lol, I get ya. I don't want to work somewhere I'd want to rip my hair out (unless Im getting 50/60k to do so).

Three years of uni? an extra one year on top of that? It's only all worth it if I enjoy my life. If not, it's all been a waste of time.